Cuckoo, long a landmark for travelers, was built for Henry Pendleton about 1819. Nearby once stood the Cuckoo Tavern, from which in 1781 Jack Jouett made his famous ride. The Pendletons, a prominent family of physicians whose descendants still own the house, constructed two doctor's offices at Cuckoo that still stand; one was built in the 18th century and one in the 19th. The house retains many Federal-style details as well as an early-20th-century Colonial Revival portico. Cuckoo was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1994.
Geographic Location: Louisa County
Physical Description of Location: Mineral, VA 23117. Located on Jefferson Hwy (Hwy 522), 0.5 miles south of the junction of Jefferson Hwy (Hwy 522) and Pendleton Road. Marker is on the left when traveling south on Jefferson Hwy (Hwy 522).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth