Late in 1941, the U.S. government began the condemnation of some 46,000 acres near Blackstone to establish Camp Pickett and train troops for World War II. The action forced 263 families (totaling 1,181 individuals) from their farms early in 1942. Many relocated to other farms but some had to abandon the only way of life they had known. Within months, their homes were demolished, the graves of their ancestors moved elsewhere, and the camp erected. Because of the sacrifices of these citizens, more than one million men trained at Camp Pickett and fought bravely on battlefields around the world.
Geographic Location: Nottoway County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection of State Route 40 and Military Road, Blackstone, VA 23824. Marker is not visible when traveling west on 40.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth