Cox House Marker, E-42

Across the road to the northeast stood the Cox House, also known as the Wiatt House. In December 1862, Confederate Maj. Gen. Lafayette McLaws's division used it as a hospital, and there on 13 December, Brig. Gen. Thomas R. R. Cobb died from wounds received during the Battle of Fredericksburg. On 3 May 1863, during the Battle of Chancellorsville, Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early rallied his Confederate troops at the Cox House after Union Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick drove them off Marye's Heights. Early later retook the heights and attacked Sedgwick's rear, while McLaws engaged him in battle near Salem Church.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1995
Region: Fredericksburg-Culpeper-Warrenton and Upper Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 4153-4199 Lafayette Boulevard (US 1 Business), Fredericksburg, VA 22408. Marker is on right when traveling north on Lafayette Boulevard, in front of Spostwood Baptist Church.
GPS Location: 38.2615758050,-77.49237436
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth