In 1866 Dr. William D. Boaz established the first commercial apple orchard in Covesville. These orchards specialized in the Albemarle Pippin, which became one of the most prized and profitable apple varieties grown in Virginia. By 1890 the success of this variety, shipped as far away as England and France, helped the Boaz orchards become one of the most productive commercial orchards in Virginia. As the business grew, it spurred the development of many of Covesville's buildings, including apple-packing plants, cider mills, workers' housing, stores, depots, and cooperages. Several of these sites remain within the Covesville Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 5912 County Road 841 VA 22931-1915. Located in front of the post office directly off Monacan Trail Road and Co Road 838.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth