The congregation was organized in 1843, when Lynchburg's African American Baptists were separated from First Baptist Church. The new African Baptist Church of Lynchburg met in a converted theater. It was demolished in 1879, after the deaths of eight people during a panic caused by fear of structural collapse. Church members provided all the money to buy land at Sixth and Court Street for a new building. Local architect Robert C. Burkholder designed the church, combining the Romanesque Revival and Second Empire styles. It was the largest church building with the tallest spire in the city in 1880.
Geographic Location: Lynchburg
Physical Description of Location: Lynchburg, VA 24504. Located on Court Street, less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of Court Street and 5th Street (Rt. 163). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Court Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth