The New Church, also known as Corbin's Church, stood to the east of this road. Councillor Richard Corbin, who also served as Receiver-General of the colony, donated "Goliath's Old Field" for the church, which was completed in 1768 to replace two older Anglican churches in Stratton Major Parish. The New Church measured 50 by 80 feet and was 27 feet high with galleries. According to the parish vestry book, 275 persons were initially assigned pews in the church.
Geographic Location: King and Queen County
Physical Description of Location: Mattaponi, VA 23110. Located on The Trail (Rt. 14), 3 miles south of the junction of The Trail (Rt. 14) and State Route 603. Marker is on the left when traveling south on The Trail (Rt. 14).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth