Cooper’s Mill Marker, W-25

Half a mile north on Diascund Creek stood Cooper's Mill. On 23-24 June 1781, the British army commanded by Gen. Charles Cornwallis seized supplies there while en route to its camp at Williamsburg and Maj. John G. Simcoe's Rangers burned the bridge there. The small army under the Marquis de Lafayette pursued, but at a safe distance. In July, Cornwallis withdrew to Yorktown to await reinforcement or evacuation. The allied armies under Gen. George Washington and the Comte de Rochambeau besieged him there until he surrendered on 19 Oct. 1781, effectively ending the Revolutionary War.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1998
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: New Kent County
Physical Description of Location: Richmond Road (Westbound), Lanexa, VA 23089. Marker is on right in front of Liberty Baptist Church, just prior to intersection with Stewarts Road.
GPS Location: 37.4241626350,-76.8947124630
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth