containertop

Convention Army – The Barracks Marker, W-166

In January 1779, during the American Revolution, 4,000 British and Hessian troops captured following the Battle of Saratoga in New York arrived here after marching from Massachusetts. Known as the Convention Army after the instrument of their surrender, the troops constituted the largest number of enemy prisoners in America’s history. Most lived in primitive huts spread out over several hundred acres of the barracks encampment where they endured great hardships. Supplying and guarding the Convention Army taxed the resources of the local community and militia. By February 1781, the last of the prisoners had been relocated.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Marker was dedicated and unveiled May 5, 2012.
Date Approved by DHR: 09/22/2011
Original Sponsor: Thomas Jefferson Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 791-801 Barracks Farm Road (County Road 658) Charlottesville, VA 22901. Marker is on right when traveling northeast on Barracks Farm Road, just prior to split in road.
GPS Location: 38.09508982368831,-78.525949716568
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom