The South Side Railroad provided service at Concord in 1854 when the track was completed from Petersburg to Lynchburg. During the Civil War, these rail lines were important for transporting troops and supplies. On 11 June, seven days before the Battle of Lynchburg, Union army forces were dispatched from Brig. Gen. William W. Averell's Second Cavalry Division to destroy rail and telegraph lines in the region. On 14 June the Federals burned the Concord Depot, a train, a portion of the track, and other railroad structures, and severed telegraph lines. They then marched towards Rustburg.
Date Approved by DHR: 09/09/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Appomattox County
Physical Description of Location: Falling River, VA 24538. Located on Richmond Hwy (460), 0.25 miles east of the intersection of Richmond Hwy (460) and Village Hwy (Route 24). Marker is on the right when traveling east on Richmond Hwy (460).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth