After the Civil War, in the area that later became known as the Community of Grove, the Freedmen’s Bureau confiscated land for displaced newly freed slaves and free blacks. In 1867, the government restored the land to its previous owners. Some African American residents moved to and settled on lands that became known locally as the Reservation and the Banks. In 1918, their descendants returned to the area of Grove after the U.S. government forced their removal to make way for the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station and the Cheatham Annex. The expansion of these facilities during World War II led to the further growth of Grove.
Year On Marker: 2012
Original Sponsor: Alain Outlaw - James City County Historical Commission
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: 8669-8677 Pocahontas Trail, Roberts, Virginia 23185. Marker is located on the right when traveling south on US 60 about 100 feet north of the intersection with Magruder Ave.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth