This is one of the oldest roads leading from the east to the Shenandoah Valley; it crosses the Blue Ridge at Snicker's Gap. The ferry right over the Shenandoah River was granted, 1766. Washington used this road many times. Some distance to the east the first aerial telegraph signals were sent from the roadside, 1868.
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: Buckmarsh, VA 22611. Located on Harry Byrd Hwy (Rt. 7), 2.75 miles east of the intersection of Harry Byrd Hwy (Rt. 7) and East Main Street. Marker is on the right when traveling east on Harry Byrd Hwy (Rt. 7).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth