containertop

Colonial Fort Marker, E-70

Nearby at John Mathews's land on Hunting Creek, Governor William Berkeley constructed a fort authorized by the Virginia House of Burgesses on 21 Sept. 1674. Militiamen from Lancaster, Middlesex, and Northumberland Counties garrisoned the fort under command of Capt. Peter Knight. The fort defended the northern frontier of the colony against the Susquehannocks and other Indian groups. Berkeley planned for it and other forts to serve as buffers and thereby enable the English and Indians to coexist peacefully. Some colonists, especially those led by Nathaniel Bacon, favored a more aggressive approach. As a result, Bacon's Rebellion erupted in 1675-1676.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1999
Region: Northern Virginia Region
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Alexandria, VA 22314. Located on Mt. Vernon Trail, 0.25 miles north of the intersection of Mt. Vernon Trail and George Washinton Memorial Pkwy. Marker is on the left when traveling north on Mt. Vernon Trail.
GPS Location: 38.779338,-77.051893
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom