The Virginia General Assembly authorized the construction of a fort built nearby along the Rappahannock River in 1676. It served as a defensive fortification for settlers of European descent on the frontier when periodic conflicts occurred between Virginia Indians and settlers. Maj. Lawrence Smith commanded the fort. Smith had patented 6,300 acres of property with Robert Taliaferro in the region in 1666. Smith later obtained more land nearby. The fort was abandoned about 1682, when the General Assembly ordered the dismantling of many of these structures.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/19/04
Year On Marker: 2004
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 4153-4199 Lafayette Boulevard (US 1 Business), Fredericksburg, VA 22408. Marker is on right when traveling north on Lafayette Boulevard, in front of Spostwood Baptist Church.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth