Colchester, founded in 1753 at the location of a ferry crossing, was the second town established in Fairfax County. Located on the main post road from Boston to Charleston, and at the end of the Ox Road leading west to the Blue Ridge, the town prospered as a trading center and tobacco port. In 1781, Gen. Washington and Comte de Rochambeau passed through Colchester en route to Yorktown. The creation of an alternate postal route over a new bridge upstream in 1805; the diversion of grain shipping from the Shenandoah Valley to Georgetown, Alexandria, and Baltimore; and, according to tradition, a great fire in 1815 contributed to the town's decline.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Lorton, VA 22079. Located on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1), 0.8 miles northeast of the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1) and Gordon Blvd. Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth