Col. John Jameson (1751-1810) owned land nearby. He served as the Culpeper County court clerk (1772-1810) and a captain in the Culpeper Minute Men battalion during the Revolutionary War. In Sept. 1780, while serving under Gen. Benedict Arnold in New York, Jameson following military protocol initially sent Arnold's co-conspirator, Maj. John André to Arnold and forwarded suspicious documents found on André to Gen. George Washington. Jameson requested André's return after being swayed by Maj. Benjamin Tallmadge. Arnold the traitor escaped, but André was hanged. Jameson's property nearby, during the Civil War, became a burial ground for at least 350 soldiers, mostly Confederates, who died in Culpeper hospitals. In 1881, their remains were re-interred at Citizens' Cemetery (now Fairview Cemetery) in a mass grave marked by an 18-foot obelisk.
Geographic Location: Culpeper County
Physical Description of Location: Culpeper, VA 22701. Located on Oaklawn Blvd, less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of Oaklawn Blvd and S. Blue Ridge Avenue. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Oaklawn Blvd.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth