The town stands on the site of one of Christopher Gist's camps when he was returning from his exploration of the Ohio Valley about 1750. Big Tom and Little Tom creeks are named for him and his son. The name of the town comes from W. W. Coe, chief engineer of the N. & W. Railroad, and Judge W. E. Burns of Lebanon. Coeburn was incorporated in 1894.
Geographic Location: Wise County
Physical Description of Location: Junction of Front Street W (Virginia 158) and Trail of the Lonesome Pine, Coeburn, VA 24230.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth