One mile west stands Coan Baptist Church. The congregation, first known as Wicomico Baptist Church, was organized on 17 November 1804. The members worshiped in each other's houses until a frame building, Coan Meeting House, was moved to this site in 1811. In the 1830s, under its pastor, Jeremiah Bell Jeter, the congregation grew, necessitating a larger building. On 3 October 1847, pastor Addison Hall dedicated the present church, built of locally fired bricks. The stone steps were transported from Baltimore on a sailing vessel to Barnes's Wharf (Nokomis) and from there on ox-drawn carts to the church. The church exhibits two architectural styles, Federal outside and Greek Revival inside.
Geographic Location: Northumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Junction of Northumberland Highway (US 360) and Coan Stage Road (State Route 612), Heathsville, VA 22473. Marker is on right when traveling east on 360.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth