Coal mines, including Brighthope, Raccoon, Cox, Hill, Vaden, and others, were located a mile west of here. As early as 1822 coal was sold for local use. By 1845 the Clover Hill Railroad was constructed to transport the coal to the Appomattox River on barges. The Clover Hill (Winterpock) and Midlothian mines were the main coal suppliers to Richmond's Tredegar Iron Works for the manufacture of Confederate munitions. The difficulties of excavation and numerous deaths from gas explosions led to the mines' abandonment. The last mine in operation, owned by the Rudd brothers, closed in the 1920s.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Chesterfield Court House, VA 23838. Located on State Route 621, 0.8 miles south of the intersection of State Route 621 and Springford Parkway. Marker is on the right when traveling south on State Route 621.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth