Site of first County Seat of Pittsylvania County. The building that served as the debtor's prison,1767-1771, and later as the clerk's office, 1771-1777, remains. Nearby stands the debtor's gaol, built in 1773. It later served as Samuel Calland's store and in 1803 became the post office for Callands.
Geographic Location: Pittsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 597 Sago Road, Callands, VA 24530. Marker is on right when traveling south on Sago Road, about .4 miles north of intersection with Callands Road (Virginia 57).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth