Quiyoughcohannock Indian village nearby was first visited by English settlers in May, 1607. The first land patent at Claremont was 200 acres granted to George Harrison in 1621. Arthur Allen, who built the house now known as Bacon's Castle, first purchased land here in 1656. The estate was called "Cleremont" by William Allen by 1793, and Claremont Manor was probably built by him after 1754. Situated on land that had been part of the Allen estate, the town of Claremont was incorporated in 1886.
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: Junction of Cabin Point Road (State Route 613) and Spring Grove Road (State Route 646), Spring Grove, VA 23881.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth