This is the site of Camp P-82, CCC Company 2359, Mineral, Virginia. The camp was established in 1934 and provided work for more than two hundred young men during the depths of the Great Depression. Their responsibilities included clearing forest trails, fighting fires, and improving the area's roads. In 1937, Camp 2359 built the 102-foot fire tower on Route 33. The tower was listed in the National Historic Lookout Register in 1994. The camp disbanded in 1942 after World War II began.
Geographic Location: Louisa County
Physical Description of Location: Mineral, VA 23117. Located on Davis Hwy (Rt. 208), 2.2 miles west of the intersection of Davis Hwy (Rt. 208) and Zachary Taylor Hwy (Hwy 522). Marker is on the left when traveling west on Davis Hwy (Rt. 208).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth