On the north side of this road, Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2354 built and occupied Camp P-89 from Aug. 1935 until about 5 Dec. 1941. During its years of operation, unemployed youths found useful work here. They cut fire trails, made passable roads, built a fire tower, and planted trees. They also built two pavilions in present-day Bear Creek Lake State Park and reforested abandoned farmland in what became Cumberland State Forest, illustrating soil conservation techniques. During World War II, the Signal Corps trained here, and in 1945 the camp held German prisoners of war.
Geographic Location: Cumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Cumberland, VA 23040. Located on Anderson Hwy (Hwy 60), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of Anderson Hwy (Hwy 60) and Old Buckingham Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Anderson Hwy (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth