On this site in July 1933, CCC Camp P-56, Company 1367, opened with an enrollment of 192 Virginia men. The camp, which was organized as one of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal employment programs, consisted of 52 small barracks, a large dining hall, two garages, and many other buildings. While at this camp, the men constructed 275 miles of forest roads, several bridges, three lookout towers, and numerous recreation buildings. The CCC also provided opportunities for the young men to further their education. In December 1937 "the camp" closed and all the buildings soon were demolished.
Geographic Location: Buckingham County
Physical Description of Location: Dillwyn, VA 23936. Located on South James Madison Hwy (Hwy 18), 0.25 miles south of the intersection of South James Madison Hwy (Hwy 18) and Willis Mt. Plant Road. Marker is on the left when traveling south on South James Madison Hwy (Hwy 18).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth