Church Quarter Marker, E-111

The two-room log house, a rare survivor of a once-common house type, was built about 1843 probably by Sarah Thornton, whose father-in-law John Thornton acquired the property in 1790. On 16 July 1862, Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson and his staff stopped here and requested some water. The woman who lived here provided him a pitcher from which to drink. On learning Jackson's identity, she refused to let anyone else drink from it, saying that she would give it to her children as a memento of Jackson's visit. The Scotchtown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution purchased and restored the cabin in 1969.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Hanover County
Physical Description of Location: Beaverdam, VA 23015. Located on Old Ridge Road (Rt. 738), 0.8 miles south of the junction of Old Ridge Road (Rt. 738) and New Market Mill Road. Marker is on the left when traveling south on Old Ridge Road (Rt. 738).
GPS Location: 37.8486065630,-77.5255366220
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth