Less than one mile to the east is the site of the Church on the Main, a brick Anglican church built by the 1750s to serve James City Parish as replacement for the church on Jamestown Island, which had become difficult for communicants to reach. The Rev. James Madison(1749–1812) was its best-known rector, serving the church from about 1777 until it fell into disuse after the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church. Madison became president of the College of William and Mary(1777–1812) and Virginia’s first Episcopal Bishop in 1790. By 1857 all aboveground traces of the church were gone.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Greensprings Road, 0.5 miles north of the junction of Greensprings Road and Jamestown Road (Rt. 31). Marker is on the right when traveling north on Greensprings Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth