About 200 feet east is the western portal of the Church Hill Tunnel. On 11 Dec. 1873, Chesapeake and Ohio locomotive number 2 passed through the tunnel, marking the completion of one of the longest tunnels in the United States. The tunnel was being repaired on 2 Oct. 1925, when Chesapeake and Ohio locomotive number 231 entered the tunnel heading west, pulling ten flat cars. The train was near the western portal when suddenly 190 feet of the tunnel collapsed, trapping and killing railroad workers, some of whom remain entombed in the tunnel along with the train.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/17/11
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: Walter S. Griggs, Jr., VCU School of Business
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 423 N 18th St, Richmond, VA 23223. East side of 18th street, about halfway between E. Marshall and E. Clay Streets.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth