Christiansburg, originally known as "Hans' Meadows," was established in 1792 and named for Colonel William Christian noted Colonial and Revolutionary Indian fighter. It became an important place on the route to the West. On May 10, 1864, Averell raided the town on an expedition into southwest Virginia. On April 5, Stoneman raided it while destroying railroads.
Geographic Location: Montgomery County
Physical Description of Location: 1100-1214 Roanoke St (Route 11), Christiansburg, VA 24073. Marker is on right when traveling south on 11, just past the Autozone.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth