John Carter had the first church built on this site; it was completed in 1670 after his death. In 1730, his son Robert "King" Carter, colonial Virginia's most powerful planter, proposed to build a brick church here at his own expense, which the vestry of Christ Church Parish accepted. Finished in 1735, Christ Church is the best-preserved and most finely crafted of colonial Virginia's Anglican parish churches. The church's detailed brickwork, particularly the molded-brick doorways, distinguishes the exterior. The interior includes original high-backed pews, triple-decker pulpit, walnut altarpiece, and stone pavers. The elaborately carved tombs of Robert Carter and his two wives stand in the churchyard.
Geographic Location: Lancaster County
Physical Description of Location: Located on Christ Church Road, 0.25 miles south of the junction of Christ Church Road and Weems Road (Rt. 222). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Christ Church Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth