About 1748, Col. James Patton patented land here and reportedly hoped this site would one day become a town. The region became known as Town House for a house known by this name that stood nearby. By the Revolutionary War, a settlement of the same name began to develop around the house. In 1856, the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad arrived and the settlement was renamed Greever's Switch for a local resident. The community's name was changed to Chilhowie in the late 1880s at the suggestion of George Palmer. Chilhowie is believed to be an Indian word meaning either "home of many deer" or "valley of many deer." The town was incorporated in 1913.
Geographic Location: Smyth County
Physical Description of Location: 251-499 W Lee Highway (US 11), about .15 miles south of intersection with Whitetop Road (Virginia 107), Chilhowie, VA 24319.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth