This area, known originally as "Cold Water Run," is the site of the first Chesterfield County courthouse, erected in 1750. In 1917 it was demolished and replaced by a larger Georgian Revival brick building that served the county until the 1960s. The most famous trial here was that of seven Baptist preachers for breach of ecclesiastical law in 1773. In 1780-81, Governor Thomas Jefferson designated the courthouse village as a training post and encampment of all reinforcements for the Continental armies from the southern states.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Chesterfield Court House, VA 23832. Located on Iron Bridge Road (Rt. 10), 1.75 miles southeast of the intersection of Iron Bridge Road (Rt. 10) and Courthouse Road (VA-604). Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on Iron Bridge Road (Rt. 10).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth