In 1585, two towns of the Chesapeake Indians called Apasus and Chesepiooc were visited by the English Roanoke expedition and later included in Theodor De Bry's map of Virginia. Archaeological research conducted in the Great Neck neighborhood in the 1970s and 1980s yielded evidence of continual habitation for at least one thousand years before 1600 A.D. Several house sites were found, along with part of a palisade, pottery, trash pits, shell beads, and stone tools. The remains of 64 Chesapeake Indians from the Great Neck site were reburied by members of the Nansemond Indian tribe at nearby First Landing State Park in 1997.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Virginia Beach
Physical Description of Location: 1914-1950 Thomas Bishop Lane, about 300 feet north of intersection with N Great Neck Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23454. Marker is on right when traveling north on Thomas Bishop Lane, just past John B. Dey Elementary School.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth