Chatham Marker, J-60
Here is Chatham, built about 1750 by William Fitzhugh. Here Robert E. Lee came to court his wife. In the battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862, the house was occupied by General Sumner. It was General Hooker's headquarters for a time, 1863.
Marker Information:Year On Marker: 1928
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: Kings Highway (Virginia 3), just east of intersection with Chatham Heights Road, Fredericksburg, VA 22405. Marker is on right when traveling east on Virginia 3, just after crossing Rappahannock River.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth