Charlottesville Woolen Mills Marker, Q-24

As early as 1795, several types of mills operated here. In 1847, Farish, Jones, and Co., opened a cotton and woolen factory. John A. Marchant gained control of it by 1852 and renamed it the Charlottesville Manufacturing Company. His son, Henry Clay Marchant, bought it in 1864. Although the Union army burned the factory in 1865, Marchant reopened it in 1867 as the Charlottesville Woolen Mills, which became Albemarle's largest industry. A community grew up around the mill and Marchant built worker houses and a chapel. By the 1880s the mill specialized in making cloth for uniforms; it remained in operation until 1964.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22902. Located on Marker Street East, 1.25 miles southeast of the intersection of Marker Street East and Ridge McIntire Road. Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on Marker Street East.
GPS Location: 38.021981,-78.456595
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth