containertop

Charlottesville Marker, Q-1-a

The site was patented by William Taylor in 1737. The town was established by law in 1762, and was named for Queen Charlotte, wife of George III. Burgoyne's army, captured at Saratoga in 1777, was long quartered near here. The legislature was in session here, in June, 1781, but retired westward to escape Tarleton's raid on the town. Jefferson, who lived at Monticello, founded the University of Virginia in 1819.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1929
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22901. Located on Long Street (Hwy 250), 0.5 miles west of the intersection of Long Street (Hwy 250) and Stony Point Road (Rt. 20). Marker is on the right when traveling west on Long Street (Hwy 250).
GPS Location: 38.036077,-78.46159
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom