During the Civil War, the Rotunda at the University of Virginia, the Charlottesville town hall and the courthouse, as well as nearby homes and hotels were converted into a makeshift hospital complex called the Charlottesville General Hospital. It treated more than 22,000 wounded soldiers between 1861 and 1865. The first of the wounded arrived by train within hours of the First Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) in July 1861. One of the facilities, known as the Mudwall or Delevan Hospital, received wounded soldiers as they arrived at the adjacent railroad depot.
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22903. Located on Hwy 250, 0.25 miles west of the intersection of Hwy 250 and 10th Street Northwest. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Hwy 250.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth