The historic district, a rare example of a 19th-century rural courthouse town, is concentrated on two main streets. Begun as Dalstonburg in 1755 during the French and Indian War, and later called Marysville and Smithville, the town was named Charlotte Court House in 1901. The court square contains an 1823 courthouse designed by Thomas Jefferson, an 1830 records office, a 1900 clerk's office, and a 1936 jail. The district also includes antebellum houses, commercial buildings, churches, and a brick tavern. Ambassador David K. E. Bruce donated the library, library garden, and other county office buildings in the 1930s.
Geographic Location: Charlotte County
Physical Description of Location: Charlotte Court House, VA 23923. Located on Co. Road 649, 0.2 miles west of the intersection of Co. Road 649 and George Washington Hwy. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Co. Road 649.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth