Charlotte County Marker, Z-64

Formed from Lunenburg County in 1764, Charlotte County is named for Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, consort of King George III. Renowned statesmen and orators Patrick Henry (1736-1799) and John Randolph of Roanoke (1773-1833) lived here. Henry is buried at his home site Red Hill. During his long career, Randolph represented Virginia in both chambers of the U.S. Congress. The county seat is Charlotte Court House. The courthouse was built in 1822-1823 based on Jeffersonian designs and in turn inspired several other courthouses in the region.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Campbell County
Physical Description of Location: Brookneal, VA 24528. Located on Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360), 2 miles west of the junction of Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360) and County Road 672. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360).
GPS Location: 37.076598,-78.880031
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth