African American Charles B. Holt owned a carpentry business in Charlottesville’s Vinegar Hill neighborhood. The son of former slaves, Holt built this Arts and Crafts-style house in 1925-1926, during the era of segregation when blacks were more than a quarter of the city’s population but owned less than one-tenth of its private land. He lived here with his wife, Mary Spinner, until his death In 1950. Later Holt’s stepson, Roy C. Preston, and his wife, Asalie Minor Preston, moved in. After a distinguished career teaching In Albemarle County’s segregated black public schools, Asalie Preston endowed the Minor Preston Educational Fund to provide college scholarships.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22903. Located on Preston Avenue, 0.75 miles west of the intersection of Preston Avenue and McIntire Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Preston Avenue.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth