Cattle (Beefsteak) Raid Marker, S-48

Leaving from a point along the Confederate right flank on Boydton Plank Road on 14 Sept. 1864, Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton took about 3,000 Confederate cavalrymen and rode more than 100 miles around the rear of the Union army. Reaching Coggins' Point on the James River on the 16 Sept., the raiders successfully captured almost 2,500 head of cattle from the Federals and returned to their lines relatively unmolested. The next day the cattle were penned in the field east of the Boydton Plank Road until being slaughtered for the Confederate troops in the Petersburg trenches.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Dinwiddie County
Physical Description of Location: Located on Boydton Plank Road (Hwy 1), 0.5 miles north of the intersection of Boydton Plank Road (Hwy 1) and State Route 613. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Boydton Plank Road (Hwy 1).
GPS Location: 37.14857119,-77.5195758670
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth