Catherine Filene Shouse, philanthropist and advocate for women’s causes, purchased a portion of McDaniel Plantation in 1930 to share her love of nature with her children. She renamed the property Wolf Trap Farm, raised her own crops, and ran a successful dog-breeding kennel. A lifelong patron of the arts and member of the board of the National Symphony Orchestra, Shouse donated parcels of her property to the National Park Service in 1961 and 1966, including an amphitheatre she had constructed, for the creation of a national park of the arts. In 1971, Wolf Trap opened as the National Park of the Performing Arts.
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, 1551 Wolf Trap Road, Vienna, VA.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth