This institution, one mile northeast, stands on the site of the old Roanoke Red Sulphur Springs, which by 1859 was a noted summer resort. The sanatorium was established by the General Assembly of Virginia in 1908 for the treatment of persons suffering with incipient tuberculosis. It opened its doors on July 30, 1909. The location was selected for its bracing and healthy climate.
Geographic Location: Roanoke County
Physical Description of Location: 4759-4857 Catawba Valley Drive (Virginia 311), Catawba, VA 24070. Marker is on left when traveling east on Virginia 311, about .2 miles east of junction with Catawba Creek Road (Virginia 779).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth