During the 17th century Carter's Grove was part of the Martin's Hundred Plantation. In the early 1720s, Robert "King" Carter purchased it and later named the tract Carter's Grove. Between 1750 and 1755 Carter Burwell, grandson of Robert "King" Carter, built the Carter's Grove mansion, a famous example of colonial Virginia plantation architecture. Burwell hired brickmason David Minitree to make and lay the brick; he brought Richard Baylis, an English joiner, to Virginia to execute the interior woodwork, some of the handsomest of the era. The house stood almost unaltered until 1928 when it was renovated and enlarged by the architect W. Duncan Lee.
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Williamsburg, VA 23185. Located on Pocahontas Trail (Hwy 60), 3.25 miles northwest of the junction of Pocahontas Trail (Hwy 60) and Warwick Blvd (Rt. 238). Marker is on the right when traveling northwest on Pocahontas Trail (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth