Near here stood a fort first known as Crissman's Fort, and later as Carter's or Rye Cove Fort, and by militia officers as Fort Lee. Built by Isaac Crissman, Sr. in 1774, it was acquired by Thomas Carter (1731-1803) after Crissman's death at the hands of Indians in 1776. The fort was rebuilt in 1777 by Col. Joseph Martin and his militia troops who occupied it until at least 1794. The fort was under the command of Captain Andrew Lewis, Jr. from 1792 to 1794.
Geographic Location: Scott County
Physical Description of Location: US 421, about 1.9 miles north of intersection with Virginia 600, Duffield, VA 24244.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth