Carter Hall Marker, T-1

Col. Nathaniel Burwell, great-grandson of Robert "King" Carter, constructed Carter Hall in the mid-1790s after moving here from Tidewater Virginia. Edmund Randolph Governor of Virginia, U.S. Attorney General, and U.S. Secretary of State, died here in 1815 and was buried two miles north at Old Chapel. In Oct. 1862, Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson used Carter Hall as his headquarters. Pharmaceutical magnet Gerard Lambert purchased the estate in 1930 and hired New York architect Harry T. Lindeberg to remodel the house in the Georgian Revival style. Since 1977, Carter Hall has been the headquarters of Project HOPE, a worldwide health foundation.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 09/06/06
Year On Marker: 2007
Region: Shenandoah Valley Region
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: Intersection of Bishop Meade Highway (Route 255) and Carter Hall Lane, Boyce, VA 22620. Marker is a entrance to Carter Hall.
GPS Location: 39.071475,-78.035481
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth