On 23 November 1811 William Carsley sold an acre of land here to trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The first Methodist church built in Surry County was constructed here soon thereafter. During the 19th century it was replaced by a second plain structure, which like the first faced the "rolling road" to the south. In 1897 the present sanctuary was built. Ramey's Store, constructed across the road soon after the Civil War, was moved to its present location in 1990 to function as the fellowship hall. Carsley United Methodist Church serves the oldest continuously active congregation in Surry County.
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: Northwest corner of intersection with Carsley Road (State Route 615) and Otterdam Road (State Route 612), Waverly, VA 23890.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth