containertop

Captain Marker, KH-5

The community of Captain received its unusual name in 1888, when a post office was established in the home of Guy Dingus Huffman, who had served as the captain of Company K, 46th Virginia Infantry Regiment, C.S.A., during the Civil War. Huffman had married Sarah Jane Hutchison, a daughter of Col. Robert Mason Hutchison (a War of 1812 veteran) on 9 Feb. 1853. The couple built their house south of John's Creek on Hutchison's land. Huffman served as postmaster until his death in 1910. The post office closed in 1935.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1998
Region: Shenandoah Valley Region
Geographic Location: Craig County
Physical Description of Location: Newport, VA 24128. Located on State Route 632, less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of State Route 632 and State Route 601. Marker is on the right when traveling west on State Route 632.
GPS Location: 37.39254,-80.455524
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom