The Town of Cape Charles was founded in 1884 by Alexander Cassatt and William L. Scott as the southern terminus of the New York, Philadelphia & Norfolk Railroad. The extension of tracks south from Maryland to Cape Charles opened the Northeastern markets to Eastern Shore seafood and farm produce. Using railcar barges and passenger steamers, the new port established a link to Norfolk. Cape Charles enjoyed rapid growth and soon became the commercial and residential center of Northampton County. The old town historic district, with its many Victorian style residences, is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Reigster and the National Register of Historic Places.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/18/10
Year On Marker: 2010
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: 800-824 Randolph Ave, Cape Charles, VA 23310. Marker is in front of Cape Charles Museum and Welcome Center.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth