Constructed in 1928, this school opened about 1930 for African American children in Cape Charles during legalized segregation. The building was constructed with contributions from the local African American community, the State Literary Fund, and the Julius Rosenwald Fund, established in 1917 to build schools for African American students in the rural South. Staffed by three teachers and a principal/teacher, the school housed grades one through seven, and was a center for educational, social, and cultural events for the African American community. Under Principal Jesse L. Hare, the school closed in 1966 when Northampton County Schools were consolidated four years before their integration.
Date Approved by DHR: 12/16/10
Year On Marker: 2010
Original Sponsor: Tevya W. Griffin, Cape Charles Rosenwald School Restoration Initiative
Geographic Location: Northampton County
Physical Description of Location: Town right of way along Old Cape Charles Road (Rte 641), at the site of the school, Cape Charles, VA 23310.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth