Early in June 1781, Maj. Gen. Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben saved some military stores at Point of Fork from British troops and then retreated south to Staunton River before being called to join Lafayette's forces. On 16 June Steuben crossed to the north bank of the James River at Carter's Ferry, and joined Lafayette in Hanover County three days later. Lafayette and the colonial forces continued to follow the British as they moved east, but Steuben soon took leave of the army because of illness.
Geographic Location: Cumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Located on Cartersville Road (Rt. 45), 1.25 miles northeast of the intersection of Cartersville Road (Rt. 45) and County Road 684. Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on Cartersville Road (Rt. 45).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth