The earthen fortification on the hill to the north was part of Union Camp Russell, constructed during the Civil War. It extended almost five miles along Opequon Creek from the Front Royal Pike to Cedar Creek Grade Road and was named after deceased Brig. Gen. David A. Russell. More than 40,000 Union soldiers of Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s army occupied the camp in Nov.–Dec. 1864, including future U.S. Presidents Col. Rutherford B. Hayes and Capt. William McKinley. When Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early’s army withdrew from the Shenandoah Valley in 1864, Union Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant ordered Sheridan’s men elsewhere.
Original Sponsor: DHR-TEA Sesquicentennial
Geographic Location: Frederick County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: Rte. 522, 4 miles south of Winchester
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth